- Serves 4
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup (100g) texturised vegetable protein or dry TVP (see notes below)
- 1 tbsp (10ml) neutral oil (vegetable, avocado, canola, etc.)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (240ml) tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 small chunks (5g) vegan dark chocolate, optional but highly recommended!
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable stock (see notes)
- 250g cooked red kidney beans (drained from 400g can)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1-2 tsp chili powder, adjust according to desired spice
- 1 tsp dried marjoram, optional
- Vegan cheese shreds or sour cream, for topping
- Chopped coriander or spring onion, for garnish
- Chopped green chillies or jalapeños
- For vegetable stock/water - If using water, you can add 1 vegetable cube or bouillon.
- For TVP/vegan mince - 100g (1 cup) TVP makes 2 cups rehydrated TVP. You can substitute the TVP by using 500g vegan mince or plant-based ground meat.
- Rehydrate the TVP by soaking it in hot water for at least 5 minutes. Afterwards, drain the water.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add in the oil and sauté the onions until tender. Then add in the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and cook down until tender, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the vegan mince/TVP and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, vegetable stock or water, tomato paste, and the spice mix. Leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, on medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in the beans and dark chocolate (if using) and leave to cook for a few more minutes.
- Season with salt to taste. Feel free to adjust the spices according to taste. Add some vegan cheese or vegan sour cream, if desired. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions or coriander.