- Serves 3-4
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- 400g instant fresh udon noodles
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- Neutral oil (such as vegetable, safflower oil, etc.) for cooking
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small head cabbage, chopped
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Pinch of black pepper, to taste
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp sugar, adjust according to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce, or stir-fry sauce
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Green Onions
- Togarashi or Japanese 7-spice blend
- If using dried mushrooms, place them in a bowl and pour boiling hot water over them. Leave to soak until rehydrated then slice.
- For the sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients together until the sugar is diluted. Set aside.
- Soak the udon noodles in hot water or prepare according to package instructions. Carefully separate the noodles and then drain the water.
- Using a large wok or pan, cook the oil over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add in onions. Sauté until tender then add in the bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms. Pour some water in to cook down the carrots. Mix well and cook over a high heat.
- Add in the green onions and cabbage. Leave the veggies untouched for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies are tender, add in the udon noodles. Pour in the sauce and mix well.
- Leave the noodles to cook for a few minutes until the udon has absorbed the sauce. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with some chopped scallions and sesame seeds. Top with togarashi for extra heat. Enjoy while hot!