- Serves 4
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (part 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh Jalapeño chilli
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup red kidney beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn, cooked
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Handful chopped coriander
Ingredients (part 2)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and de-stoned.
- Juice of a lime
- 3 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped small
- Handful coriander
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1/4 of a cucumber, chopped small
- Half a red onion, peeled and chopped
- Handful coriander, chopped finely
- Juice of half a lime
- Tortilla chips
- Brown rice
- Vegan sour cream
- To make the chilli, in a large preheated saucepan add the olive oil followed by the onion, garlic, chilli, squash and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes whilst stirring. To the pan add all of the spices. Sauté for a further 3 minutes.
- Add some salt and pepper, then the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Pop the lid on and turn the heat down low. Allow to simmer for 12 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- After 10 minutes add the chickpeas, beans, sweetcorn and coriander. Then give it a taste and check if it needs additional seasoning or spice. If you like your chilli slightly more spicy, add a teaspoon more cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 6-8 more minutes or until the squash is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the smashed avocado, add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mash together using a fork.
- For the salsa, simply mix everything together in a small mixing bowl.
- Build your burrito bowl in your Chilly’s food pot, layer by layer. I serve mine with vegan sour cream, tortilla chips and brown rice. Enjoy!