- Serves 3
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
‘Ham’ and mushrooms
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 100g vegan ham or bacon, diced
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 300g silken tofu (I used silken tofu in a tube)
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy milk or oat milk
- 2 tbsp (16g) nutritional yeast
- 1½ tbsp (22ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (10 g) vegan butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste, if needed
- 200g pasta
- Vegan parmesan for topping
- Chopped parsley
- To cook the carbonara sauce, add the tofu, salt, soy or oat milk, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, add in the butter. Once melted, cook down the ham and sliced shiitake mushrooms. Leave these to pan-fry for 4-5 minutes untouched on each side or until lightly brown. Once lightly browned throughout, remove the mushrooms and bacon from the pan. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add spaghetti to a pan of salted boiling water and cook until ‘al dente’.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a pan over medium heat. Add in the vegan butter and sauté the garlic and onions until cooked. Pour in the carbonara sauce then cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce and coat well.
- Add the cooked mushrooms and vegan ham. Leave to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve with vegan parmesan and some chopped parsley. Enjoy it hot!